Talk to me about Gingival Hyperplasia

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Oh and... the bill... over $2,000 fainticon
I wouldn't do the cleaning again unless I really thought she needed it, but she will be 6 this month and has never had one. I'm not great at remembering to clean her teeth regularly so I guess I better get in the habit!

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Yikes that sure is a lot for one surgery! (The procedures and the bill) Poor Thora. Glad she's doing better now though. I hope she doesn't have to have any more teeth removed!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Wow, on the bill. Nothing you can do about it though. I am glad Thora is starting to feel more like herself. It is hard to watch them recover when they have no real understanding of what happened. I wonder if the is something you can do to help strengthen her teeth so she will not need another surgery?

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
We have her follow up with the vet tomorrow so I'll have to talk to her about the other teeth she was recommending come out. From what I gathered during our initial conversation, those teeth have little or no remaining root structure. She's doing well now. Still on a soft diet. She's been whining a bit and making weird jaw movements the last few days and I'm wondering if she feels the stitches coming out or if the managed to get a little lock jaw from the procedure (I have a bit of TMJ from wisdom teeth extraction).

xJazerx

Super Boxer
Wow that is pretty crazy. Poor thing. My little dog needs some dental work done. Im kind of scared what kind of bill that could run us, but he's due soon.

Does feeding raw help with the gum overgrowth? I know raw bones can do wonders for teeth/tartar build up.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Wow that is pretty crazy. Poor thing. My little dog needs some dental work done. Im kind of scared what kind of bill that could run us, but he's due soon.

Does feeding raw help with the gum overgrowth? I know raw bones can do wonders for teeth/tartar build up.
I've heard the same about bones and feeding raw, but after this procedure the vet told us "if you wouldn't want to be hit over the head with it, it's too hard for them to chew on." We figured she probably broke her canine on an antler because those are the only real hard things she chews on, so I think we're going to offer softer dental chews moving forward. As for wether or not the bones can help prevent the gum issue, I couldn't say. I've read conflicting things on wether or not it's preventable, but good dental hygiene certainly couldn't hurt :)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
When feeding raw, you don't want to feed any weight bearing bones. Pork necks are good as they are not too hard. I fed a lot of those to Markus along with chicken bones and turkey necks. I haven't fed raw in a number of years as it is just too hard to find reasonably priced food here in Manitoba. I really think a raw diet is good for their health and their teeth.

xJazerx

Super Boxer
Dante had broken one of his lower canines (the tip broke off).. it happened from him running into a fence when he was running along the fence line with my neighbors dog playing.

Dogs are designed to chew on bones, they cant be expected to break some of the big thick bones, like Jan mentioned. Large weight bearing bones, etc. Chicken bones are great, my dogs have always cracked them with ease. I have never fed strictly raw, but supplement it in occasionally (meal replacement).