Anxiety Issues

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
Anyone have an remedies for anxiety. Ms. Al has been getting very anxious when we go out. She has been like this for quite awhile now, If she is sound asleep we can creep out and she won't know we are gone until we get back but that has been few and far between lately. During the summer months she would go on the deck and have no issues. It is way too cold now. Normally, she pees but lately she is doing her poo and walks in because she is so anxious. I believe her age is playing a role too I usually put her in the sun porch area, radio and lights on, with her bed and close the door to the rest of the house. Her panting starts as soon as she sees us getting ready. . I have put her on Anxiety Drops - Natural Homopathic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As we are both retired we are home alot and she is used to that. We hate leaving her and we try to work around it but there are times it can't be helped.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
When Arabella started showing sign s of anxiety I had her tested for a low thyroid. Sure enough it came back low. She has been on Soloxine since and it has helped. Also in situations where she is really stressed I use a Thundershirt. They take some time to acclimate the to but it has been a Godsend for us.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Poor Miss Ali! What kind of anxiety drops are you using? Is is a Bach Remedy, something like Rescue Remedy. If not, it might be worth a try. Both of Pam's ideas would be a good idea.

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
When Arabella started showing sign s of anxiety I had her tested for a low thyroid. Sure enough it came back low. She has been on Soloxine since and it has helped. Also in situations where she is really stressed I use a Thundershirt. They take some time to acclimate the to but it has been a Godsend for us.

Thank you Pam. Ms. Ali developed it after she had knee surgery and was in hospital for 4 days so I am thinking it is something like post traumatic stress. It is weird as she has no problem during the summer when she can be outside on the deck. It is inside and I have to keep her in my sun porch if not there is pee all over the house and even poo sometimes. It is a nice big area and has windows all around and a patio door to the deck. So it is not like she is in a small area. It must have something to do with being crated and the feeling of not getting out that frightened her. Maybe when she is outside on the deck she feels like she can get away if she needs too. I never thought of a thundershirt to be honest. That may be very helpful. And I will mention about a low thyroid to my vet as well. It is stressful for her and for us. As she is getting older it is getting much worse and that is understandable as well.

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
Poor Miss Ali! What kind of anxiety drops are you using? Is is a Bach Remedy, something like Rescue Remedy. If not, it might be worth a try. Both of Pam's ideas would be a good idea.

Hi there. It is called Natural Homepathic Remedy Anxiety Relief. This was the only type at that particular pet store but I remember something about Rescue Remedy. I will check that one out as well. It is so sad to see her so upset. I do not make a fuss when I leave as I feel that would only upset her more but I hate doing that too. Hoping things will improve.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Thank you Pam. Ms. Ali developed it after she had knee surgery and was in hospital for 4 days so I am thinking it is something like post traumatic stress. It is weird as she has no problem during the summer when she can be outside on the deck. It is inside and I have to keep her in my sun porch if not there is pee all over the house and even poo sometimes. It is a nice big area and has windows all around and a patio door to the deck. So it is not like she is in a small area. It must have something to do with being crated and the feeling of not getting out that frightened her. Maybe when she is outside on the deck she feels like she can get away if she needs too. I never thought of a thundershirt to be honest. That may be very helpful. And I will mention about a low thyroid to my vet as well. It is stressful for her and for us. As she is getting older it is getting much worse and that is understandable as well.

I would think it is more a separation anxiety. It might stem from you leaving her at the hospital for that long. I would start from leaving her for short breaks each day and working up to longer ones, until she is comfortable in knowing you are coming back.

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
I would think it is more a separation anxiety. It might stem from you leaving her at the hospital for that long. I would start from leaving her for short breaks each day and working up to longer ones, until she is comfortable in knowing you are coming back.[/QUOTE

Thanks Pam. I am probably making things worse by taking her with me on short errands. It is a good idea, to try leaving her for short periods, however, sometimes I can be gone for 10 min and she pees. Most of the time I believe it happens just as we are getting home. I think she gets so excited she cannot help herself and the fact that she is so stressed does not help. She is on pills for incontinence too.

bxrbgood

Boxer Insane
Give her a treat when you leave.
It work for Ginger. I also reassure them I'll be back, and tell them to be good. (think they understand?)

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
Give her a treat when you leave.
It work for Ginger. I also reassure them I'll be back, and tell them to be good. (think they understand?)
When Ms. Ali is anxious she won't touch treats of any kind. She just walks back and forth and pants. Had to go out today and leave her but she was sleeping away when we got home. No messes. Funny how somedays she is more anxious than others. I think she was tired today and just wanted to sleep and didn't care if she was home alone. Either way I was happy to come home to a happy girl and a clean house.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I think she was tired today and just wanted to sleep and didn't care if she was home alone. Either way I was happy to come home to a happy girl and a clean house.
If I know I am going out later in the day, I try to tire the dogs out in the morning. Then they hopefully sleep while I am gone.

I was warned Skully has separation anxiety. I think it is crate anxiety. He really freaked out the first night I had him. No sooner did I shut the door that he started to try to jackhammer his way out. I immediately took him back out and haven't tried again since. He and Arabella were left home alone most of Thanksgiving. We had two families dinners, so they were left for hours. We did come home between the two dinners and feed them and let them out to run around a bit. They did great!