Neuter question . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

bissonnette

Boxer Buddy
Our brindle boy Diesel is being neutered as we speak . . . he is 2 1/2. Can anyone tell me in their experience what kinds of temperament changes, if any, they experienced? Did it calm your dog down, or change his attitude?

joannaryan

Boxer Insane
Toby has been neutered for about 4 months now and as far as calming him down? No, lol, he is just as hyper as always and temperment wise? He is the same lovable, kissable, crazy pup that he has always been. Healing ((((VIBES)))) for your boy and keep him calm for the first few days so that the stitches don't come loose :)

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Neutering didn't change my boy one bit! He has always been on the mellow side and very cuddly, and nothing changed after neutuering. He was an older neuter. He was 9 yrs and it was needed for medical reasons. Even tho' he was intact most of his life we never had any behavior issues such as marking or humping with him.

sargboxerluv

Completely Boxer Crazy
I had Titan neutered at 18 months. He didn't calm down one bit! He is still a psycho! What I have found interesting is that now that I got him nuetered, he is constantly trying to hump Harley! What gives? Actually, I think it is a dominance thing due to age. He has been more brave during their toy battles. It's like he is testing her to see if she will say "uncle".

Another odd side effect. He has always slept on my bed, but would usually not be touching me, unless his head or paw flopped my way. But since the day I brought him home from the nueter, he lays smashed up against me! I think he was traumatized by being left there and he's afraid if he isn't touching me I will sneak away or something. And I wouldn't mind, but it breaks my back!

bissonnette

Boxer Buddy
Well the update: Diesel did well and came home same day obviously. He HATES his cone and actually tore it off and chewed it while I was at work (the wife was home with him but he did it in the other room). His temperment hasn't changed a bit and keeping him calm is proving to be a challenge.

LAST QUESTION: he still appears to have, for lack of a better word, his sack. I have seen other male dogs neutered and there was essentially nothing there. In this case, it seems like they went in front of the sack, just behind the penis and removed the testicles. They say the sack will shrink up. My sister's Boxer didn't shrink much at all and has a skin type sack kind of hanging there now. Anyone have any experience with this?

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
The sack should shrink up, but to what size is undetermined. All my boys sacks shrank up tight to the body. But have seen some with empty sacks hanging.

sargboxerluv

Completely Boxer Crazy
Yes my boy has an empty skin sac hanging down too. It is supposed to shrink a little, but I expect it will always be visible. I think when the surgery is done when they are younger it goes away more than when they have surgery when older.

When extremely overweight people lose hundreds of pounds, they need surgery to take out the skin rolls. So I imagine it is a similar situation.

hurleygirl

Boxer Booster
My boys shrank up to his body. We had it done young so who knows if it calmed him down or he just grew out of the puppy stage. Whatever, boxers just have a lot of energy and you have to be ready for it. They do eventually calm down tho, but they are still such nuts and that's the whole fun of having a kookie boxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.