Tracheomalacia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazads

Boxer Buddy
Well, I had little Bella at the vets tonight with a mucousy cough and runny nose. IN Fact, I thought she was going to choke to death early this morning, she was coughing and couldn't breath! It is one of three things:

1) A viral infection - upper respiratory tract
2) A bacterial infection - upper respiratory tract
3) Tracheomalacia

She thinks she is too young for 3).

She had an antibiotic injection and is on antibiotics for the next week in the hope that it will clear any bacterial infection. Boy, I hope it does. Viral should clear itself in that time too. If she is still coughing and having problems then we will have to investigate the Tracheomalacia theory.

Has anyone had any experience with Tracheomalacia? The vet said while it is not treatable, it rarely causes so much distress that a dog could not live with it. But I really don't want my little girl to have to live with that problem. :(

Mama's Boys

Super Boxer
Sorry to hear that Bella is ill. Did they do a chest xray to check the lungs to see if it is pneumonia? The fact that she was coughing so bad that she couldn't breathe would really worry me.

kazads

Boxer Buddy
No, they didn't xray but did listen to her chest and the vet said it was clear. She has improved a lot, but still has the odd occasion where it sounds like she is having trouble breathing. The funny thing is that she can go to the park or beach and run around like a wild thing and she is fine.... there does not seem to be a pattern to when the breathing issues happen.

kazads

Boxer Buddy
Actually I just noticed a small amount of green phlegm on the lounge... perhaps it is just an infection...

Status
Not open for further replies.