I believe my dog has become deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenZenZen

Boxer Pal
Not sure if this is the right section of the forums but ill post it here anyway.

For the past well, month I suppose my dog has been acting different. At night when in the living room he will fall asleep on the sofa which is perfectly normal of him. However when called to go out for the night he doesn’t respond. He will just sit there, his ears wont twitch he just stays asleep. To wake him I have to give him a pat or stroke but even then he seems very reluctant to go to his bed. At first I thought it was because he was old (almost 12 years old) and that the weather had dropped (he sleeps in the conservatory) that was making him not want to move but now I am thinking he may be deaf. I haven’t really noticed because when I go to do something such as take him for a walk ill grab the lead which makes him excited, or when in the park I sort of half crouch and tap both of my knees to signal him over.
Is there any tests that I can do to conform he is deaf or that he is just being lazy? Also does anyone know of any websites that specialize in deaf dogs and how to keep them trained?

Oh and one more thing. For the past month also his eyes have become quite watery and have left dirty wet lines down the side of his face. I tap them sometimes with kitchen paper to dry up but by the end of the day they become wet again. Is this normal? Are these signs that my dog may have something worse? Any extra information would be great.

~ Cheers, ZenZenZen

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
If his behavior has changed and he is not responding to you like normal I would take your dog to the vet.

ZenZenZen

Boxer Pal
Yes I’ve booked an appointment for the 29th. I’m hoping they don’t find anything series with him. He has also become incontinent over the past few months I’m hoping this is just to do with old age. I’ve read a lot about how boxers are prone to getting cancer/tumors...

ascot chief2001

Boxer Booster
You will find as they get older, they do sleep that much more soundly. Mine does, especially of a night time. And yes, her hearing isn't quite up to par on what it use to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.