Normal Egg-Shaped Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradford

Boxer Buddy
So this is a picture of a puppy that a reputable breeder has picked out for me based on its temperament and my lifestyle. It's a picture of him at 4 weeks. He is the runt of the litter and his head looks very different than his littermates. To me, his head looks very egg-shaped. Is this normal?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
You forgot the picture :)

"Cone heads" are quite normal for puppies, and actually often considered desirable and an indicator of good head shape to come as an adult. However, without a pic its rather hard to say about the individual.

bradford

Boxer Buddy
You forgot the picture :)

"Cone heads" are quite normal for puppies, and actually often considered desirable and an indicator of good head shape to come as an adult. However, without a pic its rather hard to say about the individual.

Cool, thanks. You should be able to see it in now when you press the gallery link. I just uploaded it last night, so I'm not sure if others can see it yet. I was just concerned because his face and head look different than the others. I wasn't sure if that was something to be worried about given his runt status.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Very very cute. I don't see anything weird about his head shape either. :) I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

I just went back and looked at Moto's puppy pictures. You can see them in my gallery. At two weeks his head was egg shaped, but by 3 weeks you could see that it was becoming cone shaped. As gmacLeod said I think it's just a case of being a little behind because he is the runt. He will probably turn out normal.

Last edited:

bradford

Boxer Buddy
Great. Thanks, Gmacleod and Jan. Your comments fall in line with what the breeder said the other day. He thinks the puppy is about a week behind the others. I haven't raised a boxer or a runt before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of looks. But other than his appearance, he seemed to match his littermates - a playful, happy boxer!

Status
Not open for further replies.